Wednesday, October 15, 2008
EBONY and IVORY
The first time I introduced my name PEARLITA, I realized it was repulsive. I remember people would start chuckling every time they hear my name. My friends, as a rule call me “Pearlaloo” or “Pearlalooch” ‘coz it makes me feel that I’m not from the ancient times. Here’s the explanation why the name is so prehistoric, well, my “Lola” was named Alejandrita, my aunt’s name is Lolita, then there’s my tita Teresita, so they passed it down to our bloodline and VOILA! Here I am carrying the “ITA” at the end of my name. I just can’t understand why my mom combined the precious white “Pearl” with the black “ITA” (The Aeta are an indigenous people who live in scattered, isolated mountainous parts of Luzon). Maybe because I was born with a white complexion, but then they noticed I have many moles on my face (Nah! My moles started popping out when they already branded me with that name) or maybe I was half white, half black when I was brought into being (probably not! That would be creepy.) Whatever they were thinking during that time, I know for sure there’s a good reason why I have that name. Anyway, I’m not alone. Countless people also have that given name. I know deep in my heart, to those people with the same name as mine, we are PRECIOUS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment